Thursday, October 21, 2010


Max Found Two Sticks



Author/Illustrator: Brian Pinkney
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
ISBN: 0-689-81593-x


Imagine that… a boy expressing himself through music.  This is an exciting story of a young boy who finds himself in a bit of a funk and just doesn’t feel like talking.  The mysterious-seeming reason for his mood was irrelevant because the wind was about to blow him a “pick-me-up”, literally.  A sudden gust of Brooklyn wind came, and knocked down two sticks from a nearby tree.  Max improvised these tools of nature by using them to start the rhythm of his day.  Acquiring objects throughout the day from friends and family, Max expressed himself through the beat of his growing drum set.  Author and Illustrator Brian Pinkney portrayed every page with a descriptive beat, which was so clear, that as I read I could almost hear each drum rhythm.  The sound of the drums was still in my head long after I put the book down… which inspired me to pick the book up again.

The story takes place in Brooklyn, New York.  As New Yorkers, we know that our city is one of the most culturally diverse - if not the most diverse – city in the world.  The most interesting way we get to learn about cultures is through their musical expression.  Max banging on a variety of objects in the story reminded me of street performers all over the city.  On any given day - in the subways, hotspots, and downtowns of the five boroughs, there is a great chance you’ll experience live musical culture - whether it’s the Scottish bagpiper in the subway, the Latin jazz band on a corner in Times Square, or the Caribbean calypso drummer in downtown Brooklyn.  New York is the heart of these amazing musical expressions.  Max fits into the city scene perfectly.  There’s no doubt in my mind that Pinkney had these performers in mind when he created this story.

While growing up, the author looked on as his father, illustrator Jerry Pinkney, created his art.  Using materials and supplies his father handed down to him, Brian started his own projects based on what he learned from simply observing his father in action.  Brian later pursued his love of art and obtained a bachelor’s and master’s degree.  Brian Pinkney uses a unique style of art known as “scratchboard”.  Scratchboard art is created using a blade instead of a paintbrush.  With the blade, the artist cuts into a piece of clay.  This results in a black and white sketch, which can then be colored with oil paints.  Pinkney finds scratching very rhythmical, and the sound it makes aides him in creating his masterpieces.  Brian Pinkney has received a Caldecott Award for his artwork as well as a Coretta Scott King Award.  Most of his work is in African American culture but he has collaborated with other authors to do books celebrating various other cultures.  Many of his recent books were done with his wife, children’s book author, Andrea Davis Pinkney.  Max Found Two Sticks is Pinkney’s first self-illustrated book, which is inspired by his love for the drums and set in the town in which he and his family reside.  The page that stands out to me the most is the one in which Max’s father is seen conducting the train.  In the background is New York City with the Twin Towers standing tall in the skyline.

I particularly enjoyed the way Max expressed himself and his mood through music and rhythm. I remember the powerful role music played in my high school years. I found being a teenager challenging, but when I came home from school I found solace in my guitar, which I would play for hours at a time. The importance and value of teaching children self-expression is priceless. This has now become one of my new favorite books. 


* Please see "scratchboard" video below.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog so much that it actually brought little tears of joy and laughter to me. It is wonderful how you expressed the cultural influences for the rhythms of the story. I believe that out of all the arts and expressions music is one of the greatest influences for children. It holds a certain beauty that children react to almost automatically. It is said that music is a universal language. I have experienced music from other cultures that touched my heart regardless of the language barriers. I love taking the subway and catching a performance or two before my train arrives. Music has the power to channel our emotions, and thus it is no wonder that Max found it easy to express his own emotions through the rhythm of the drums. We all need to find outlets for our daily stresses. Your ‘self to text’ connection made me think about how music has helped me throughout the years. I have always found the arts, music in particular, to bring me the courage and strength I needed to face my own battles however big or small they were. Drawing is also another great outlet for the soul, and I loved watching the video on scratchboard art. I remember when scratch art came out: the black paper that when you scratched the surface would show all the colors of the rainbow. I enjoyed scratch art immensely! I realized that the paper scratch art I drew on most likely derived from scratchboard art. I imagine scratchboard art would be slightly more difficult than the paper I used since clay is harder to dig into. I found your catch phrase, “Imagine that…” to be inspiring. The imagination is all too important to our creativity. I had a professor that would always say, “We are only limited by our imagination.” How true it is that our imaginations help us to break free of the normal boarders and limitations of our world! I searched for more of Brian Pinkney’s work and found that many of them include learning through the arts. I am interested in reading the books that were awarded the Caldecott and Coretta Scott King honors. I thank you for introducing me to such a fine author/illustrator. I have a feeling that my ‘favorites’ list is going to get much longer now!

    ReplyDelete